If the links below do not provide answers to your questions, please contact our office staff at 360.464.6030.
- What are your office hours?
- Do I need a referral from a physician to schedule an MRI?
- Do I need to do anything special to prepare for the exam?
- What forms do I need to fill out prior to my appointment?
- How long will my appointment last?
- What is MRI?
- Who should not have an MRI?
- How do I make an appointment?
- How is billing handled?
- What insurance carriers do you accept?
1. Brain & Spine Imaging Center is open from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Extended hours available by appointment.
2. Yes. You do need to be referred by a physician. This is required whether an insurance company is providing payment or whether you are paying out of pocket.
3. Because of the strong magnetic field generated by our equipment, patients are not allowed to wear anything metallic during the exam. This includes watches, jewelry, and anything else containing metal.
In addition, because some cosmetics contain metals, we ask that you not wear make-up if you are scheduled for a head or neck study.
Brain & Spine Imaging Center provides pants or gowns to change into and a locker where you can securely store your belongings. If you prefer to wear your own clothing during the exam, please wear metallic-free attire such as sweat pants.
4. If you are scheduled for a brain MRI, please print and fill out the Brain Evaluation form and deliver it to us when you arrive for your appointment. If you are scheduled for a spine MRI, please print and fill out the Spine Evaluation form and deliver it to us when you arrive for your appointment. Brain Evaluation – Spine Evaluation
5. We ask that you allow approximately one hour for your appointment. This includes time for registering, changing clothes, and being positioned on the exam table. The actual MRI takes only 20-30 minutes for a single study without IV contrast.
6. Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) is a painless, non-invasive technique that generates high-resolution images of the inside of your body. Used since the late 1970s, MRI provides more effective scans than any other form of imaging.
MRI supplies superior pictures of the brain, spine, bones, muscles, tendons, cartilage, nerves, blood flow, and other soft tissue structures. These detailed images allow doctors to rapidly diagnose injuries and other conditions, so that you can receive treatment as quickly as possible.
Brain & Spine Imaging Center features a state-of-the-art MRI scanner that delivers the finest service to our patients and referring physicians. The GE 1.5 Excite II MRI System provides some of the strongest and fastest gradients of any MRI scanner on the market.
What this means for you is optimal precision in the shortest possible time. In addition, our short-bore, whole-body imaging system is designed with open, flared ends to ensure patient comfort.
7. In most cases, people who have undergone knee, hip, or shoulder joint replacements are able to be scanned.
Because of the strong magnetic field and radio frequencies associated with our equipment, people with pacemakers, metallic implants, or any other metal objects should not have an MRI without prior approval from their physician. Also, some brain aneurysm clips, heart stents and implanted pumps may not be MRI-safe.
Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Our office staff would be happy to look up details about your device and/or call the manufacturer to determine if it is MRI-safe.
8. Appointments: All patients must have a physician referral before scheduling an appointment. Once you have received a referral, contact us at 360.464.6030 to set up an appointment.
9. Billing: If you have questions, please contact us at 360.464.6030.
10. Insurance:Brain & Spine Imaging Center is contracted with following insurance companies. If your insurance provider is not listed below, please contact us. We will call the company to determine if your MRI is covered.
- Community Health Plan of Washington
- Dept. of Labor and Industries
- First Choice
- Great West
- Premera Blue Cross
- Railroad Medicare
- Regence Blue Cross/Blue Shield – Washington and Oregon
- Tricare/TriWest (Champus)
- Uniform Medical
- US Dept. of Labor
- Miscellaneous insurances
Please be aware that most insurance companies need prior authorization for MRIs. With our patients’ financial interest in mind, we ask that authorization be provided prior to the appointment. You may need the following information when you contact your insurance provider:
Tax ID #91-2104870 – Olympia Neurology PLLC